This delightful recipe is brought to you by Nom Nom Paleo.
This evening I made my first batch of ghee. The trickiest part was figuring out what to use instead of a cheesecloth since I didn’t have one on hand. We tried using a coffee filter but that did not work out and we ended up spilling some of the ghee. Instead I found a blue disposable cloth used in restaurants and that did the trick!
Now that I know how simple it is to make ghee, I’m going to try making these spicy tuna cakes. I believe I can also modify a recipe I have for crab cakes using the same ingredients and methods called for in this recipe. I have some pastured eggs and ghee handy so I believe this will be a fun recipe to try tomorrow.
Here’s what to gather to make 12 cakes:
- 3 tablespoons melted ghee, divided
- 10 ounces canned albacore tuna packed in water, drained
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced (about ⅓ cup)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh cilantro
- 1⅓ cup mashed baked sweet potato
- finely grated zest from ½ medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño pepper
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium lemons, cut into wedges (optional)
For directions, go to Nom Nom Paleo’s website!
Photo credit: Nom Nom Paleo